I am trying to cook meals that will last few days because time is often limited on long work days. We are lucky enough to have a slow cooker here. A great investment to make food while at work and come back to an amazing smell in the kitchen.
So yesterday I improvised some crockpot chili. I did not use a set recipe, grocery here is very expensive so I am limiting myself by using simple ingredients and the few spices I brought from home; chili and curry powder.
Here is what I did:
- I cooked a pound and a half of ground beef in a frying pan with a bit of olive oil and a package of chili spice from the store.
- I drained the excess of fat and place the meat in the slow cooker.
- I cooked an onion and a few garlic cloves in the frying pan and place it in the slow cooker.
- I added a can of small red bean I rinsed into the slow cooker.
- Alsoţ, I added 2 cans of tomatoes and 1 cup of beef broth with about 1 tablespoon of chili powder in the slow cooker.
- Cooked it on high setting for about 4hours.
It was pretty liquid, next time I will put a can of tomatoes and one of tomato sauce to thicken the sauce.
We made oven fries for side dish with potatoes, turnip and sweet potatoes! Pretty awesome mix with the chili !!!